Hospitals, Nursing Homes and Rehabilitation Centers
Any qualified voter that has been admitted to a health care facility (hospital, nursing home or rehabilitation center) within 14 days before the election or, if released, is expected to be homebound on the day of the election and unable to travel to the polling place, shall be entitled to personal delivery of a ballot. The following conditions must be met.
- Voter, or agent must obtain an “Application for Ballot for Qualified Voter Admitted to a Hospital, Nursing Home or Rehabilitation Center” from the DeKalb County Clerk’s office or website: Hospital App to Vote PDF Fillable
- Voter must complete the application.
- A health care professional, or facility representative must fill out the “Certificate of Attending Health Care Professional” attesting to the situation.
- After the form is completed by the voter and the health care professional the form must be hand delivered to the DeKalb County Clerk’s office by a family member, a precinct voter or an acquaintance chosen by the voter.
- After completing an affidavit, the chosen courier will hand carry the ballot back to the voter at the facility.
- The voter will vote the ballot in secret, complete the certification statement on the ballot return envelope and securely seal the ballot in the envelope.
- The courier must then return the voted ballot, sealed in the envelope, to the DeKalb County Clerk’s office by 7:00pm on Election Day.
Note: Any qualified voter admitted to a health care facility, more than 14 days before an election may request a Vote by Mail Ballot.
For information on our in person Nursing Home Voting program, please contact the Elections office at 815-895-7147.
Assistance is the actual casting of votes for a voter in accordance with the voter’s wishes. Assistance can be given by a friend or relative but cannot be given by an officer or agent of the voter’s employer or union. A candidate whose name appears on the ballot is also prohibited from assisting, unless the voter is a spouse or relative. If assistance is given, the name and address of the person giving assistance must be provided on the certification envelope.
For additional information please contact the DeKalb County Elections’ office at 815-895-7147.
For an application and affidavit to vote due to the above circumstance, please complete the following forms: Application to Vote and Affidavit